Scam Victim Solution Center: How to Choose the Right Jurisdiction for Your Fraud Report


Silence is fraud's best friend.  Word of mouth is fraud's worst enemy.  Pass the word!TM

  Search Contact Us Report Email Fraud


About Fraud Aid Disclaimer How to use the Solution Center Solution Center Menu Info Documents

Explanations & Definitions





Disclaimer: We are not attorneys and don't pretend to be.

In our experience, the solutions offered in this section have proven to be effective; however, we always recommend that you consult with an attorney.

If you have doubts about Fraud Aid, do not hesitate to contact Federal (FBI, Secret Service, RCMP) Scotland Yard, or local law enforcement to check us out.


Stay out of debt and stay out of jail:

The legal truth about work-at-home money, package, and check forwarding jobs


How to really verify a check

Your ID Theft Prevention To-Do List

What to do about threats from scammers


U.S. Federal Jurisdictions


This page: The Securities & Exchange Commission (SEC)


The Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) 

The US Secret Service 

The U.S. Attorney's Office  

The Internal Revenue Service Criminal Investigations Division (IRS-CID)  

The Federal Trade Commission (FTC)


When and how to contact



The U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission - The SEC


In brief

The world of investing is fascinating, complex, and can be very fruitful. But unlike the banking world, where deposits are guaranteed by the Federal government, stocks, bonds and other securities can lose value. There are no guarantees. That's why investing should not be a spectator sport; indeed, the principal way for investors to protect the money they put into the securities markets is to do research and ask questions...

The Division of Enforcement investigates possible violations of securities laws, recommends Commission action when appropriate, either in a Federal court or before an administrative law judge, and negotiates settlements on behalf of the Commission.

While the SEC has civil enforcement authority only, it works closely with various [Federal] criminal law enforcement agencies [and polices offices] throughout the country to develop and bring criminal cases when the misconduct warrants more severe action...


When to contact the SEC:

When you have knowledge or evidence of:


  • Problems with buy or sell orders
  • Cold calling
  • Problems with 401(k), pension or retirement
  • Problems with your broker
  • Boiler room activity, live or on the Internet
  • Problems with IPO allocation or eligibility
  • Manipulation of security price or volume
  • Problems with your investment adviser or financial planner
  • Failure to file required reports with the SEC
  • Breach of financial privacy
  • Problems with your mutual fund
  • False or misleading statements about a company (including false or misleading SEC reports or financial statements)
  • Fraud in the marketing of a securities trading course, program or similar product (Bank Guarantees, Letters of Credit, Standby Letters of Credit, insurance documents, Treasuries, etc)


How to contact the SEC:

>  You can file a complaint with the SEC online at


>  You can call the FTC at (202) 942-7040 or TTY: (202) 942-7065


>  You can write to the FTC at:


SEC Complaint Center
450 Fifth Street, NW
Washington, D.C. 20549-0213
Fax: 202-942-9634


>  You do not have to be a US citizen or US resident to contact the SEC.  If you are located outside the U.S., you can contact the nearest American Embassy or Consulate and speak with a Legal Attach?(a-ta-shay).  Go here for a list of Legal Attach?:

The Attach?will either direct you to the correct office or contact the SEC personally.  If you are unsure about contacting a U.S. representative on foreign soil, you can use any of the methods listed above.


If you are calling in a tip that you suspect someone of a violation, before you call write down what you want to say or make some of notes so you remember everything you want to report.  There are few things more frustrating than remembering information you wanted to hand over after you've hung up the phone. 

If you are calling in with direct, personal knowledge and experience, as always, have your narrative and evidence package ready.


The SEC is open to calls from non-US residents (citizen residents of foreign countries) who want to report U.S.-based criminal activity or crimes perpetrated by US citizens living abroad.


The Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI)   The US Secret Service   The Securities & Exchange Commission (SEC)  

The U.S. Attorney's Office   The Internal Revenue Service Criminal Investigations Division (IRS-CID)  

The Federal Trade Commission (FTC)



Reporting, crime-fighting, and victim resource links

Copyright 2000-2011 Fraud Aid, Inc.  -  All Rights Reserved

Privacy Policy - Disclaimer - Spam Policy